Allen's Gaming History (Extended Mix) [August 2026]
Welcome to Gaming History (Extended Mix)! This is a video series that serves as an "extended" version of #MonarchyGamingHistory, a regular segment on the Tuesday (tech news) edition of the Morning Monarchy radio show (hosted by James E. Pilato of Media Monarchy).
**Update: Monday 13 July 2026**
Initially I had planned for this series to be a one-episode-per-week series, following after that Tuesday's #MonarchyGamingHistory segment. I realise now that two episodes per week is the sweet spot, which would allow for episodes that can cover "honourable mentions" or subjects which I don't think would make it on the segment, as well as events which I've missed and would like to shine a spotlight on. These can be featured on episodes released either on Mondays or Tuesdays (latest) while the episodes released later in the week feature what I would've prepared for the segment.
Initially I had planned for this series to be a one-episode-per-week series, following after that Tuesday's #MonarchyGamingHistory segment. I realise now that two episodes per week is the sweet spot, which would allow for episodes that can cover "honourable mentions" or subjects which I don't think would make it on the segment, as well as events which I've missed and would like to shine a spotlight on. These can be featured on episodes released either on Mondays or Tuesdays (latest) while the episodes released later in the week feature what I would've prepared for the segment.
If you like this content and the other work that I do (Pokรฉmon ROM hack walkthroughs, DJ sets, manga/comic book podcasts and so on), you can support me from here https://mrtkallen.blogspot.com/2023/09/support.html
If you're new here and need to catch up...
Gaming History (Extended Mix) [July 2026] (Episodes 0 to 7)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Friday 7 August 2026
40 years ago this week, Nintendo released Metroid in Japan for the Family Computer Disk System on 6 August 1986. This is Gaming History, the Extended Mix!
Watch on YouTube
Watch on the Internet Archive
https://archive.org/download/gaming-history-extmix/Gaming%20History%20Ext.%2008.mp4
https://archive.org/download/gaming-history-extmix/Gaming%20History%20Ext.%2008.mp4
Watch on BitChute
Watch on Rumble
Watch on Substack
00 Metroid Title Theme [Metroid]
01 Metroid (NES, 1987) Feat. James Rolfe - Video Game Years History [Pat the NES Punk]
02 -Japanese Commercial- Metroid (1986) Game Commercials [Jurassic Dork]
03 -First 6 Minutes- All Your History - Metroid [felman87]
04 CGR Undertow - METROID for NES Video Game Review [CGRundertow]
05 -First 5 Minutes- What's So Great About Metroid? - True Exploration [What'sSoGreatAboutGaming]
06 -US Commercial- Metroid (1986) Game Commercials [Jurassic Dork]
07 -First 8 Minutes- Metroid: Original Trilogy - Angry Video Game Nerd (AVGN) [Cinemassacre]
08 -First Minute- Metroid - Did You Know Gaming? Feat. WeeklyTubeShow [DidYouKnowGaming]
09 Origin Story of Samus - Metroid's Leading Lady [MojoPlays]
10 -First 4 Minutes- Metroid Manga Adventures: Samus Aran's First Quest! [GTV Japan]
11 -First 4 Minutes- METROID MEMORIES - Happy Console Gamer [HappyConsoleGamer]
12 -First 5 Minutes- How Alien inspired Metroid [The Orpheon]
13 Justin Bailey from Metroid is a Real Person! Just Not Who You'd Expect... [GTV Japan]
14 Revisiting The Original Metroid [GameSpot]
15 Metroid Ending Theme [Metroid]
It's the longest episode so far haha, I was aiming for just under an hour but I decided to let the GameSpot review run in full since it's among the shorter videos featured in this episode. As a result, the longer retrospective videos are linked down below in the Honourable Watchables section. I couldn't find any interviews with Yoshio Sakamoto about the first Metroid game specifically, all the videos which came up in the search were interviews about later games in the series like Other M and Dread. I played Metroid sometime in the 2010s on an NES emulator, another game which I had found out about MANY years after its initial release, and yup I did not finish it. Can't remember how far I got but I doubt now it was very deep in the game, probably got lost because I didn't have a walkthrough or map. I just fired up the game and played to see what it was about, a "first impressions" sort of thing. If I do get the itch to replay Metroid one of these days, I think I'll dive into the series through Zero Mission. Usually I'm not a fan of remakes (mainly in TV shows and movies because of a lot of the garbage that has been dumped out over the years) but since Zero Mission did a nice job giving the original game new life (and original Metroid came with Zero Mission as an unlockable reward), I might as well ๐
**Honourable Watchables**
In Defense of the Original Metroid | Retrospective & Review for FDS & NES 1986 [HPRshredder]
Metroid retrospective (part 1): Me and my Ze-best gal | NES Works #048 Pt. 1 [Jeremy Parish | Video Works]
Metroid retrospective (part 2): Galaxy brain | NES Works #048, Pt. 2 [Jeremy Parish | Video Works]
Metroid Part 1 (1986) – Nintendo's Sci-Fi Classic | Video Games Over Time [ballerscuba]
The History of the First Metroid: A New Hero, A New Genre [Almost Something Retro Gaming]
Metroid Retrospective - Part 1 [GameTrailers Archive]
The Cut Content and History of Metroid - The Birth of a Bounty Hunter [Mama Louiji]
Metroid Timeline Explained (Samus’ Full Story in Chronological Order) | What You Need to Know [Suggestive Gaming]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tuesday 11 August 2026
20 years ago, on 20 April 2006, the third and final game in the Mother series Mother 3 was released by Nintendo for the Game Boy Advance.
Watch on BitChute
https://www.bitchute.com/video/kaxKxj7jmWvb/
https://www.bitchute.com/video/kaxKxj7jmWvb/
Watch on YouTube
Watch on Rumble
Watch on the Internet Archive
Watch on Substack
00 Let's Begin [Mother 3]
01 MOTHER 3 CM 1 [Starmen.Net Youtube]
02 MOTHER 3 Promo Video [Starmen.Net Youtube]
03 -First 6 Minutes- Mother 3 History and Review - Top Hat Gaming Man [Top Hat Gaming Man]
04 MOTHER 3 CM 2 [Starmen.Net Youtube]
05 1up.com's MOTHER 3 Review & Starmen.Net Teasing [Starmen.Net Youtube]
06 Reggie gets asked about MOTHER 3 [Starmen.Net Youtube]
07 -First 5 Minutes- Mother 3 - Did You Know Gaming? Feat. Furst [DidYouKnowGaming]
08 MOTHER 3 CM 3 [Starmen.Net Youtube]
09 -Starts 4 Minutes In- The Development Story of Mother 3 [Switchaboo]
10 -First 5 Minutes- The History of the MOTHER 3 Fan Translation [DaEgg123]
11 Reggie Fils-Aime Post Retirement: Mother 3 [Brown Dad Likes Stuff]
12 Reggie gives us Mother 3: E3 2014 [stkALT]
13 MOTHER 3 CM 4 [Starmen.Net Youtube]
14 -First 2 Minutes- The Legal Reasons Why Mother 3 Will Never Be Localized [Moon Channel]
15 -First 9 Minutes- Mother 3: Nintendo's Neglect of the West - Region Locked Feat. Dazz [DidYouKnowGaming]
16 -Starts 1 Minute In- Mother 3's Darkest Mystery [Press Start To Continue]
17 MOTHER 3 CM 5 [Starmen.Net Youtube]
18 -First 4 Minutes- Mother 3 Retrospective | Smiles and Tears [PGReviews]
19 MOTHER 3: Tribute [Curiomatic]
20 MOTHER 3 Nintendo Switch Online Japanese Trailer [GameSpot Trailers]
21 A Message to MOTHER Fans - Translation from MOTHER 3 Interview with Shigesato Itoi - Mother Forever [NOKOGODO]
Ending theme: And Then There Was None [Mother 3]
**Honourable Watchables**
MOTHER 3 Video [Starmen.Net Youtube]
How Mother 3 Breaks You [Super Eyepatch Wolf]
The Dark Story That Inspired Mother 3 [MonkeyNess and Cybershell]
MOTHER3 contains the most of me. - Shigesato Itoi (Part 1) [ใปใผๆฅ (ใปใผใซใก) ๅ
ฌๅผ]
MOTHER3 contains the most of me. - Shigesato Itoi (Part 2) [ใปใผๆฅ (ใปใผใซใก) ๅ
ฌๅผ]
MOTHER 3 Discussion 4/19/2006 with Shigesato Itoi and Hikaru Ijuin - Mother Forever [Mother Forever Archive]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Friday 14 August 2026
30 years ago, on 22 June 1996, id Software's first-person shooter game Quake was released for MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows.
Watch on YouTube
Watch on BitChute
Watch on the Internet Archive
Watch on Substack
Watch on Rumble
https://rumble.com/v7e6ex6-quake-30th-anniversary-allens-gaming-history-extended-mix-episode-10.html
00 Quake Theme [Quake]
01 Quake PC Games Gameplay - Quake gameplay [IGN]
02 CGR Undertow - QUAKE review for PC [CGRundertow]
03 Quake and Duke Nukem - CBC MIdday (1996) [Tim Doyle]
04 Quake (1996) Remastered Intro Video/ Demo [gimbokon]
05 Quake (Zero Punctuation) [The Escapist]
06 id Software Interview Quake 1996 [williamv1203]
07 -First 4 Minutes- DF Retro: Quake - The Game, The Technology, The Ports, The Legacy [Digital Foundry]
08 John Carmack on Designing Quake's Addictive Gameplay | Joe Rogan [JRE Clips]
09 -First 5 Minutes- What's So Great About Quake? - The Turning-Point for Arcade Shooters [What'sSoGreatAboutGaming]
10 -First 5 Minutes- Matt Chat 54: Quake with John Romero [Matt Barton]
11 -First 4 Minutes- The History of Quake [GameSpot]
12 -4 Minutes In- The Legacy of Quake [Liam Triforce]
13 -First 4 Minutes- The History of Quake with Tim Willits [/noclip]
Ending theme: Aftermath [Quake]
It was nice to learn that id Software were the same crew that gave us Commander Keen. There was a CD collection of PC games that I got in the late 90's which included games like SimCity 2000, Cult and the Commander Keen games. I missed out on Quake but I did play Doom though, I just can't remember whose PC I saw and played it on.
**Honourable Watchables**
Quake PC Game Review 1/2 -Exploring The Id: id Software History Part 9 [GGBeyond]
Quake - An LGR Retrospective [LGR]
Sandy Petersen - Designer on Doom and Quake | TechJesse Interview #13 [TechJesse: Jesse Petrilla]
Quake - The 1996 Beta scandal | MVG [Modern Vintage Gamer]
The Making Of Quake | Jordan H.J. [Jordan H.J.]
The Story of DOOM & Quake - Tim Willits (id Software) Interview [Arcade Attack Retro Gaming Network]
Quake changed video games forever | John Carmack and Lex Fridman [Lex Clips]
QuakeWorld Launch Event - 1996 [Games Done Nick]
Nailing the Sound of Horror: NIN + id | A Quake Documentary [The Yetti Den]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tuesday 18 August 2026
40 years ago, two ports of Konami arcade games were released in Japan for the Nintendo Family Computer: The Goonies on 21 February 1986 and Circus Charlie (released by Soft Pro) on 4 March 1986.
Watch on the Internet Archive
Watch on YouTube
Watch on Substack
https://mrtkallen.substack.com/p/konami-classics-40-the-goonies-x
https://mrtkallen.substack.com/p/konami-classics-40-the-goonies-x
00 Press Start x Stage 1 [The Goonies]
01 -First Stage- 1986 The Goonies (Famicom ) Game Playthrough Retro Game [Media Pool]
02 The History and Origin Of The Goonies 1986 [1up Retro Gaming]
03 ๐ง๐ต๐ฒ ๐๐ผ๐ผ๐ป๐ถ๐ฒ๐ / ใฐใผใใผใบ (Famicom/NES, Konami, Japan, 1986) [Commercial/Advert] [VideoGamesVision]
04 -First 5 Minutes- The Goonies 1 & 2 - Angry Video Game Nerd (AVGN) [Cinemassacre]
05 Famidaily - Episode 0099 - The Goonies (ใฐใผใใผใบ) [RndStranger]
06 The Goonies Famicom retrospective: Setting the stage for a sequel | NES Works Gaiden #04 [Jeremy Parish | Video Works]
07 Circus Charlie (Arcade) - Video Game Years 1984 [Pat the NES Punk]
08 Circus Charlie (Famicom) REVIEW - FamiThon #93 [SpongeTheKid]
09 Circus Charlie (NES 1986) — Konami’s Cheerful Nightmare That Tested Your Sanity [Classic Pixels Gaming]
10 Famidaily - Episode 0100 - Circus Charlie (ใตใผใซในใใฃใผใชใผ) [RndStranger]
11 The History of Circus Charlie - Arcade console documentary [PatmanQC - History of arcade game documentaries]
Ending theme: Stage 2 [The Goonies]
My very first home console was one of these Terminator "TV Game" consoles:
I'm trying to take a closer look at that yellow cartridge in the photo just to check if it's the legendary 999999 in 1 cartridge, but I digress. One cartridge that I did have was a 56 in 1 and among the games which were on it was The Goonies and Circus Charlie. The Goonies was listed on the first game selection screen while Circus Charlie was either on the second or other screens. I still hold that cartridge in high regard because that was my gateway to a lot of NES classics. I spent more time playing The Goonies than I did playing Circus Charlie because, well, you died way more easily in Circus Charlie haha. Funny enough, there was another cartridge that I got later which had other games and one of them was Elevator Action. For a while I thought the player character there was the same guy as Mikey in The Goonies game because they looked so similar ๐. I decided to cover two games in this episode because there wasn't a lot for either of them outside of YouTuber reviews and Let's Play videos. If I'd just gone with The Goonies for example, it was going to be an episode that's less than 30 minutes ๐ same thing for Circus Charlie.
On a sad note, I wasn't aware that PatmanQC had passed away not too long ago. I found out about it via this video from a channel called Red Cow Arcade which popped up while I was preparing the Metroid episode. I didn't know the man personally, his mini documentaries would come up as recommendations when I was putting together my list of links for #MonarchyGamingHistory segments and after watching them I found them great to watch. So it's unfortunate that he is no longer around, hopefully people will still check out his videos and keep his work alive.
And on another sad note, it's weird that only last month I put out the Kingdom Hearts 2 episode and it included interviews with some of the voice actors, with one of them being Hayden Panettiere. Fast-forward to now and with all the news about Kingdom Hearts 4 we get the news about her suddenly dying. I found out on YouTube, just one of those video thumbnails which you see off to the side and at first you wonder if the video is legit, then after a quick search you find out that it's true. I don't know what happened to her, I haven't dived deeper into the reports yet, but it's another terrible loss. It hits home for me because I'm in the same age generation as she was, such that if we were back in high school we might've been in the same year or she'd have been in the year ahead of mine. I'll remember her for Heroes since that's where I first saw her (and a little signing-off joke that I would say to one of my former classmates about "save the Cheerleader"). The Cheerleader can at least rest in peace now.
**Honourable Watchables**
talk about ~The Goonies~ The arranged BGM of the movie's theme song is fantastic [~passive listening~ Retroy Game Talking Room]
THE GOONIES (NES) REPRODUCTION UNBOXING | The Old Ass Retro Gamer [Midlife Crisis Media]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Friday 21 August 2026
20 years ago, on 6 June 2006, Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure (developed by Dimps and published by Atari) was released in North America for the Nintendo Game Boy Advance.
Watch on YouTube
Watch on Rumble
Watch on Substack
Watch on BitChute
https://www.bitchute.com/video/P89bIDQG5nVx/
Watch on the Internet Archive
https://archive.org/download/gaming-history-extmix/Gaming%20History%20Ext.%2012.mp4
https://www.bitchute.com/video/P89bIDQG5nVx/
Watch on the Internet Archive
https://archive.org/download/gaming-history-extmix/Gaming%20History%20Ext.%2012.mp4
00 Title Screen Theme (Japanese Version) [Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure]
01 Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure Game Boy Gameplay - [IGN]
02 Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure - Spot TV GBA 2004 (Japan) [Dragon Ball Center]
03 CGR Undertow - DRAGON BALL: ADVANCED ADVENTURE review for Game Boy Advance [CGRundertow]
04 Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure [GBA] Review - SNESdrunk [SNES drunk]
05 -First 5 Minutes- DBZember: The Best Dragon Ball Game EVER! [Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure Review] [Bargain Bin Anime Reviews]
06 -First 5 Minutes- The Ambitious Effort of Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure [Mysterious Thirteen]
07 -First 15 Minutes- Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure – A True Hidden Gem [Hidden]
Ending theme: Title Screen Theme (English Version) [Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure]
You can probably judge from the length of the episode and the size of the Show Notes list that there wasn't a whole lot for this game outside of the usual YouTuber reviews and Let's Play videos, which is sad because I had expected much more coverage for a game based on a major franchise like Dragon Ball. I played Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure some time in the 2010s, several years after I had played Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku (which I received as one of two birthday gifts, the other was Pokรฉmon Ruby Version). Unlike YouTuber Hidden who did not like LoG (she's got a whole video about it of course haha), I did enjoy LoG at the time and later on I played a bit of LoG 2 and got stuck in Buu's Fury (couldn't pull out the Z Sword!). Advanced Adventure was a fun action game and did a decent enough job of giving me a basic understanding of what Dragon Ball was about, because I did not even know that there was a Dragon Ball before Dragon Ball Z. There was a South African TV channel which aired Dragon Ball Z in the eary 2000s then aired Dragon Ball GT and some years after that Dragon Ball was aired. By that time we couldn't access the channel properly and I wouldn't have had the free time to watch it. No idea if it was case of the channel not getting the rights to air Dragon Ball first until all those years later or they just decided to go with Z first. I do plan on reading the manga someday, but I'm dreading the possibility that it will likely be the not-so-great Viz version instead of a decent fan translation ๐
.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tuesday 25 August 2026
20 years ago this week, on 29 August 2006, Saints Row (developed by Volition and published by THQ) was released in North America for Microsoft's XBox 360.
Watch on BitChute
Watch on the Internet Archive
https://archive.org/download/gaming-history-extmix/Gaming%20History%20Ext.%2013.mp4
https://archive.org/download/gaming-history-extmix/Gaming%20History%20Ext.%2013.mp4
Watch on YouTube
Watch on Substack
Watch on Rumble
https://rumble.com/v7enf1q-saints-row-2006-20th-anniversary-allens-gaming-history-extended-mix-episode.html
https://rumble.com/v7enf1q-saints-row-2006-20th-anniversary-allens-gaming-history-extended-mix-episode.html
00 David Banner - Saints Row [Saints Row]
01 Saints Row original trailer [Elian Hernรกndez]
02 Saints Row - E3 2006 Gameplay Trailer [High Quality] [NeoGamer - The Video Game Archive]
03 Saints Row - Intro & Mission #1 - Canonized [Willzyyy]
04 Saints Row Xbox 360 Review - Video Review [IGN]
05 Saints Row Xbox 360 Gameplay - E3 2005 Footage_2005_05_19 [IGN]
06 CGR Undertow - SAINTS ROW review for Xbox 360 [CGRundertow]
07 Saints Row Xbox 360 Gameplay - E3 2005 Footage_2005_05_19_1 [IGN]
08 Making of - Saints Row (2006) [Behind the Scenes] [NeoGamer - The Video Game Archive]
09 Saints Row Xbox 360 Gameplay - E3 2005 Footage_2005_05_19_2 [IGN]
10 Saints Row Video Review by Gamespot for Microsoft Xbox 360 (X360) [10topgames]
11 Saints Row Xbox 360 Gameplay - E3 2005 Footage_2005_05_19_3 [IGN]
12 Saints Row 1 Gametrailers Review [TheM͟i͟s͟s๐๐๐๐WAR๐ท๐ผ]
13 Saints Row Xbox 360 Gameplay - E3 2005 Footage_2005_05_19_4 [IGN]
14 -First 5 Minutes- Saints Row review - ColourShed [ColourShedProductions]
15 -First 5 Minutes- The Rise and Fall of Saints Row [GVMERS]
16 Saints Row TV Commercial [Lion Eyes Television Production Services]
Ending theme: Daz Dillinger - Git Out Of My Way [Saints Row]
Had the Xbox consoles been as common and popular here as the PlayStation consoles, I do think Saints Row would've been among the major games that I would had gotten a chance to play. Maybe it would've been as popular as the Grand Theft Auto games were too. There are only two places in town that I know of which had an Xbox 360, one was an arcade and the other was a doctor's office that had converted one of their rooms (might have been a lounge area? Waiting room?) into a mini arcade. I don't remember if the mini arcade had Saints Row but they did have the first Assassin's Creed and that's where I played on an Xbox for the first and only time. No idea if the actual arcade spot had Saints Row either, it was in a shopping complex that I would frequent at lot and I'd usually pass the arcade without stepping in. Who knows, maybe the place had Saints Row and I just didn't know it...
**Honourable Watchables**
The Real Saints Row | Saints Row (2006) Retrospective [Vando Mando]
Saints Row Xbox 360 Interview - Dan Cermak Interview [IGN]
Christopher Stockman on Saints Row, the future of the franchise, indie vs. AAA (FULL INTERVIEW) [Ralph Barbagallo]
The Rise and Fall of Saints Row | Saints Row 1 (Documentary) [RPGGameplay]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Comments
Post a Comment