Allen's Gaming History (Extended Mix) [September 2026]

 


Welcome to Gaming History (Extended Mix)! This is a video series that serves as an "extended" version of #MonarchyGamingHistory, a regular segment on the Tuesday (tech news) edition of the Morning Monarchy radio show (hosted by James E. Pilato of Media Monarchy). 

If you like this content and the other work that I do (Pokémon ROM hack walkthroughs, DJ sets, manga/comic book podcasts and so on), you can support me from here https://mrtkallen.blogspot.com/2023/09/support.html

If you're new here and need to catch up...


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sunday 6 September 2026



Episode 15: OutRun 40th Anniversary

40 years ago last week, on 4 September 1986, Sega released OutRun for arcades in Japan.

Watch on the Internet Archive


00 Hiroshi Kawaguchi - Magical Sound Shower [OutRun]

01 OutRun Arcade 1986 (Japanese version) [Jamess Cornejo]

02 Out Run (Arcade) - Video Game Years 1986 [Pat the NES Punk]

03 Megadrive OUTRUN Japanese Commercial Video アウトラン [Trader Games]

04 The Out Run Story [Little Car]

05 -OutRun segment, 8 Minutes In- Yu Suzuki Interview [ACMI Collection]

06 OutRun - Arcade Review | How to Retro [How to Retro]

07 -First 6 Minutes- Icons S2E04 Yu Suzuki [Unimportant Entertainment]

08 OutRun: Top 5 Things You Didn't Know [Scarflix]

09 -First 15 Minutes- The History of Outrun - 2025 edition - アウトラン - arcade console documentary - Remastered [PatmanQC - History of arcade game documentaries]

09.5 Hiroshi Kawaguchi - Passing Breeze [OutRun]

10 -Snippet- Out Run Series - Review - Game Sack [Game Sack]

11 -Snippet- Yu Suzuki And His Classic Games - Which Way Games [Sy Retro]

12 -Snippet- Out Run: The Complete History | SEGA's most iconic driving game - SGR [Slope's Game Room]

13 -Snippet- OutRun Game Evolution (1986 - 2009) [Game Evolution]

10 (Ending theme) Hiroshi Kawaguchi - Last Wave [OutRun]

Apologies for the super late posting of this episode, it would've come out on Friday if we didn't have one of those really busy weeks here. Busy at work and busy at home because there was a house guest that had to be looked after until they left yesterday. Also, I do have to apologise for the minor dip in audio quality. I ran the original video file (which was over 2GB) through two different video compression programs: the first program kept the audio quality well enough but the visuals looked a bit squashed. The second program maintained the visuals but the audio has that little telltale sign of a file that has been compressed, especially when you hear the Out Run songs. The dip doesn't spoil the episode but I just wanted to let you know, especially those of you with good ears for sound quality.

Out Run was just a few years before my time and as I've tried to recall to my arcade venturing days in the early 90's, I can't remember if I saw the game in either of places I would visit. It could've been there but I just didn't play it. But I do appreciate the influence that it had on racing and driving games which came years later such as Need For Speed and Gran Turismo that I did have a chance to play. I couldn't find any video interviews with Kawaguchi, those would've been a nice addition because I wanted to hear him talk about putting together the game's amazing soundtrack. I like jazz so I'll be sure to search for that jazz album mentioned in the Scarflix video which the Out Run team had to listen to, maybe some of those songs will make it into a future #SoulfulSunday set
😎

**Honourable Watchables**

Best Video Game Creator: Yu Suzuki's interview with english subtitles [Actu, sport, musique et jeux video !!!]

OutRun (1986) Retrospective | SEGA Talk Podcast [SEGAbits]

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walkthrough for Pokemon Saiph 2 v1.4 (8 May 2024 Full Release)

Updated Walkthrough for Pokemon Liquid Crystal Beta 3.3.00512

Checking In (Friday 6 September 2024)